|Photo by Saga Wendotte|
This is a recipe from my old food blog in Swedish. I collaborated with super talented photographer Saga Wendotte to make a few Christmas recipes. I love the way she shot my recipes and thought it would be fun to share them here.
Outside it's snowing and today I bring you more Christmas sweets! And just like last week it's a recipe featuring saffron (because saffron = Christmas). These simple sweet balls also contain orange which makes them taste even more Christmassy. The orange also adds some acidity which is a nice contrast to the saffron. And then they are covered with dark chocolate which is probably my favourite part. These would be so delicious served with my spicy hot chocolate. And also some Christmas music of course (I love Sia's new Christmas album). Christmas music is mandatory whilst Christmas baking!
Chocolate Covered Orange & Saffron Balls
Makes about 18
Juice from 1/2 orange
1/2 package (1/4 gram) ground saffron
1 3/4 cup (4 dl) almond flour
Grated zest from 1 orange
Small pinch of salt
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut oil
100 grams dark chocolate
Optional: A few goji berries
1. Bring the orange juice and saffron to the boil in a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stir together the almond flour, orange zest and salt in a bowl.
3. Remove the saucepan from the stove and add the maple syrup and coconut oil so that the coconut oil melts completely.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix them together thoroughly and form the batter into small balls.
5. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over boiling water in a saucepan on the stove. Roll the balls in the chocolate until the are completely covered. Put them on a tray covered with parchment paper. Put one goji berry on top of the balls if you like.
6. Let the balls harden in the fridge. Enjoy!